A healthy lawn can have a big impact on the overall aesthetic of your home. If you want to have a lush lawn you may be debating whether you should handle your own lawn care or hire a professional. In order to answer that question for yourself you need to understand the steps that must be done to keep your lawn healthy and how a professional can help.
- What needs to be done to keep your yard healthy?
Developing and maintaining a healthy yard requires some effort. There are several tasks that must be completed properly throughout the year to keep your yard in top condition.
1. Mowing-During the growing season your lawn needs to be mowed on a regular basis. The frequency depends on the type of grass you have in your yard. Mowing may sound like a self-explanatory task but there are a few things you need to consider if you decide to handle it on your own. It is possible to cut your grass too short and cause damage. In addition, waiting too long to mow can allow weeds to choke out the grass. The best length to cut your grass also depends on the type you have in your yard.
2. Weed control-Weeds can cause major problems in your yard. They are unsightly and grow very quickly. If you have weeds in your yard you will be forced to mow much more frequently than you would if you only have grass. Weeds can also cause problems for the existing grass. They steal water, nutrients, and sunlight that your grass could otherwise use. There are a variety of weed control products available that you can use to protect your yard. The timing and method for applying these products varies based on the type of product you choose and the type of grass you have.
3. Pest control-Pests, like weeds, can create problems for your lawn. There are some pests that eat away at the blades of grass and can create dead patches in your yard. Other lawn pests eat away at the roots and kill the grass from under the surface. There are even rodents that can infest your yard and damage the grass. You must control pests in order to maintain a healthy lawn. The first step to effective pest control is to try and determine what type of pest is damaging your lawn. Once you know what type of pest is causing problems you can choose the appropriate type of treatment solution.
4. Aeration-If there is one area of lawn care that is often overlooked it is aeration. Aeration is the process of creating small holes in your yard using a tool designed for that purpose. This allows nutrients and water to reach the roots of your grass more directly. In addition, it helps relieve compaction by creating space for the soil to spread out. Aeration has to be done at certain times during the growing cycle to maximize its’ effectiveness. If you choose to handle your own lawn care you will have to research your particular type of grass in order to assure that you aerate it at the proper time.
5. Fertilization-Fertilizing your lawn gives it a boost of nutrients. This can strengthen your grass so it grows more effectively and is better able to fend off weeds. Timing also matters when it comes to fertilizing your lawn. For example, it is preferable to fertilize your lawn whenever you aerate it because the nutrients will be able to reach directly to the roots of the grass.
- How can a professional lawn care company help with my lawn care?
The most important elements that a professional lawn care company brings to the table are knowledge and equipment. The proper length to cut your yard and the timing for aeration and fertilization are all impacted by the type of grass you have in your yard. The professionals at a local lawn care company will have knowledge of the types of grass that are common in your area and the appropriate timing for these tasks. Some of these lawn maintenance tasks are much simpler when you have the right equipment. A professional will have access to the equipment that is necessary to properly maintain your lawn.
It is possible to handle your lawn care on your own but you will have to become knowledgeable about the type of grass you have and how to complete the various maintenance tasks. If you do not have the time or desire to do these tasks on your own then you can hire a professional lawn care company to take care of every element of your lawn maintenance.